Every person who comes to me wants to achieve optimum body composition. Sometimes they say they want to tone up, or lose weight, or get smaller, or build muscle, or strengthen their core. All of these are different ways to say, “I want to have the best body I can have!” Everyone does have different needs, as far as how to get to optimum body composition. This youtube from Training Peaks was a great summary of how to get there.
Here’s what I took from it that i’ll be passing on to my clients:
1) Always eat breakfast (it can be after your morning workout if you exercise right away in the morning).
2) Eat every 3 hours, probably 5-7 times each day. If you are a busy person, plan ahead, and prepare or buy some quick/easy snacks that you can eat on the go.
3) Each meal or snack should contain carbs, protein, and fat. Examples: an apple and some almonds; chicken, veggies, and rice; oatmeal with a hard-boiled egg; etc.
4) You MUST do strength training, 2-4 times per week. It can be quick (20 min is good if you’re rushed). Just make sure it gets done!
5) Train in the correct heart rate zones. Many people train too intensely too often. Do a variety of cardio workouts and don’t forget to exercise at low intensities as well. This will teach your body to burn fat for fuel.
6) Hydration. Drink 20 ounces of water as soon as you wake up. Then drink lots more water throughout the day. If you’re thirsty, you’re too late.
7) Recover, repair, sleep. This is when your muscles are built, so you can’t leave it out.
8) Finally, believe that you can do it and that your goals are possible!!!
If you need help with a strength training routine or figuring out your heart rate zones, contact me, I’d love to help you.